Incorrect tax notices impact some military D.C. residents

  • Published
  • By 1st Lt. Esther Willett
  • Air Force District of Washington Public Affairs
As the deadline for filing state and federal income taxes quickly approaches, it is important for military members to remain abreast of recent issues which may affect them as residents in the National Capital Region.

"Recently, some military personnel previously stationed in the District of Columbia, and living on Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, have received income tax notices and/or were contacted by debt collectors stating they owe local income taxes, even though they are legal residents of another state" said Chief of Community Legal Issues Lt. Col. Ryan Oakley.

Military members and their spouses who maintain a legal residence in another state are not obligated to pay D.C. income taxes if their presence in the NCR relates to military service, according to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

If you or your spouse receives a notice you believe to be incorrect, don't disregard it. There are resources available to help you resolve the issue.

"We have found people fail to address these issues because they think they are protected," said Lt. Col. Samuel Kan, Armed Forces Tax Council executive director. "If you get any type of notice from a state, and you don't think you owe taxes to that state, you need to make sure you pay attention to the notice and get help."

In response to the recent cases, military service representatives met with the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue to resolve this issue.

"If you have received a tax notice, the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue advises not to attempt to resolve the matter with the debt collector, but to contact their designated point of contact immediately," said Oakley. "The D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue has established new procedures to assist affected service members as directly and expeditiously as possible."

If you have received a tax notice from the District of Columbia that you believe to be invalid, you or your legal assistance attorney should contact Mr. Glen Groff, director of operations for the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue, by phone at commercial (202) 442-6499 or by email at

In addition to contacting this POC, members can seek out advice and assistance at their nearest military legal assistance office, said Oakley.

If you have any additional questions regarding incorrect tax notices, please contact Lt. Col. Ryan Oakley, chief, Community Legal Issues Division, at (240) 612-4625 or by email at