Colonel Michael S. Smith is the Inspector General, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md. As the Inspector General, he is responsible for administering major command-level inspector general services to Airmen assigned to the subordinate units of AFDW, including the 11th Wing and 79th Medical Wing, to various Air Force agencies, including the Air Force Audit Agency, Air Force Civil Engineering Support Agency, and Air Force Public Affairs Agency, and to Air Force Elements of joint organizations such as Combatant Commands, the Joint Staff, and the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
Colonel Smith graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy where he earned a bachelor's degree in political science and was commissioned in 1994. He served in numerous national-level Joint intelligence organizations including the National Reconnaissance Office, Defense Intelligence Agency, Joint Special Operations Command, and National Air and Space Intelligence Center. He deployed to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility on multiple occasions supporting Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. He commanded the 376th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, served as the Senior Intelligence Officer for the 89th Airlift Wing, commanded the 301st Intelligence Squadron while simultaneously serving as the Director of Mission Operations (J3) for the Misawa Security Operations Center, served as Director of Intelligence (CJ2) for the Combined Joint Interagency Task Force 435, and served as Deputy Commander for the Space, Missiles, and Forces Intelligence Group.
1994 Bachelor of Science degree in political science, with honors U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Master of Science degree in strategic intelligence, Joint Military Intelligence College, Washington, D.C.
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Master of Science degree in strategic leadership, Air Force Institute of Technology,
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2011 Air War College, non-residence program
1. June 1994 - May 1995, student, basic intelligence training, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. May 1995 - May 1997, requirements team chief, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
3. May 1997 - September 1998, graduate student, Joint Military Intelligence College, Washington, D.C.
4. September 1998 - June 2001, Japan geopolitical military analyst and Balkans intelligence watch
team chief, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
5. June 2001 - May 2002, chief, U-2 imagery exploitation element, 607th Air Intelligence Squadron,
Osan Air Base, South Korea
6. May 2002 - May 2005, chief, imagery collection management element, Joint Special Operations
Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
7. May 2005 - June 2006, graduate student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB,
8. June 2006 - September 2008, flight commander, intelligence, 89th Operations Support Squadron,
Joint Base Andrews, Md.
9. September 2008 - June 2010, consolidated cryptologic program element monitor and executive
officer, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2010 - June 2012, Commander, 301 IS/Director, Mission Operations, Misawa Security
Operations Center, Misawa Air Base, Japan
11. June 2012 - July 2013, CJ2, Combined Joint Interagency Task Force 435, Camp Phoenix,
12. July 2013 - June 2015, Deputy Commander, Space, Missiles, and Forces Intelligence Group,
National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. June 2015 - present, Inspector General, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major Aug. 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2009
Colonel Nov. 1, 2015