Colonel John F. Borowski is the Inspector General, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. As the Inspector General, he is responsible for administering major command-level inspector general services to Airmen assigned to the subordinate units of AFDW, including the 11th Wing and to various Air Force agencies, including the Air Force Audit Agency, Air Force Civil Engineering Support Agency, and Air Force Public Affairs Agency, and to Air Force Elements of joint organizations such as Combatant Commands, the Joint Staff, and the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
Colonel Borowski was commissioned in 1998 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. After completing pilot training at Laughlin AFB, Texas, he was a C-5 instructor pilot at Travis AFB, Calif. While stationed at Peterson AFB, Colo., Colonel Borowski won recognition as Air Mobility Command’s best Distinguished Visitor Airlift Crew in the C-21. He was then assigned to the 21st Expeditionary Mobility Task Force as a member of Air Mobility Command’s Phoenix Mobility Program developing expeditionary mobility operations experience.
Colonel Borowski was a distinguished graduate student in the Cyber Operations Master’s Program at the Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, as part of the Department of Defense’s Information Assurance Scholarship Program. Following graduation, he interned at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency as part of the Service Chiefs’ Program. He then served as the Operations Officer, 22d Airlift Squadron and as the Director of Staff, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California. Colonel Borowski was selected as the Commander of the 457th Airlift Squadron, providing priority airlift for key federal officials, members of Congress, and senior-ranking military leaders in the C-21A aircraft. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Borowski was the Chief, Operations Division, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, responsible for managing the Air Force Component Operations Center, the Command’s exercise, readiness, and training branches, as well as Air Force helicopter operations in the National Capital Region.
1998 Bachelor of Science Degree in Operations Research, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts Degree, Business Administration, Touro University International, Calif.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Science Degree in Cyber Operations, Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (Correspondence)
1. May 1998 – December 1999, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 2000 – March 2004, C-5 Instructor Pilot, 21st Airlift Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
3. April 2004 – July 2006, C-21 Instructor Pilot, 311th Airlift Squadron, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
4. August 2006 – July 2007, Contingency Airlift Planner, 21st Air Mobility Operations Squadron, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
5. August 2007 – April 2008, Assistant Director of Operations, 819th Global Support Squadron, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
6. May 2008 – July 2010, Cyber Operations Graduate Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
7. July 2010 – May 2013, Operations Officer and C-5 Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 22d Airlift Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
8. May 2013 – July 2014, Director of Staff, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
9. August 2014 – September 2016, Commander, 457th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. September 2016 – May 2019, Chief, Operations Division, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
11. June 2019 – Present, Inspector General, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-5 A/B/C, C-21A, UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Force Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major October 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2013
Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2019)