Chief Master Sergeant Melanie K. Noel is dual-hatted as the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the Air Force District of Washington and the 320th Air Expeditionary Wing, headquartered at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. She is the senior enlisted leader responsible to the commander on matters concerning the welfare, effective utilization, professional development and readiness of AFDW's Airmen. AFDW is the Air Force component to the Joint Forces Headquarters-National Capital Region and is responsible for organizing, training and equipping combat forces for aerospace expeditionary forces, homeland operations, civil support, national special security events and significant ceremonial events. AFDW provides major-command-level support to over 60,000 military and civilian Airmen worldwide.
Chief Noel enlisted in the Air Force April 1992. She has held various positions in both Security Forces and Personnel Administration. Chief Noel also served several assignments as a First Sergeant as well as an instructor at the Air Force First Sergeant Academy. Her assignments include bases in England, Iceland, Texas, Alabama, and Washington D.C. She has also deployed in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. Noel is a graduate of the Legislative Fellowship on Capitol Hill and served as a Manpower, Personnel, and Services Legislative Liaison.
Before assuming her current position, Chief Noel was the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
1995 U.S. Air Force Airman Leadership School, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
2004 U.S. Air Force NCO Academy, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2005 U.S. Air Force SNCO Academy by correspondence
2006 Associate Degree in Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
2006 Associate Degree in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force
2006 U.S. Air Force First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Joint SNCO PME Course by correspondence
2008 U.S. Marine Corps Staff Non-Commissioned Officer’s Academy, Advanced Course, Camp Pendleton,Calif.
2010 Associate Degree in Instructor of Technology and Military Science, Community College of the Air Force
2011 Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with Honors, American Military University
2011 Professional Manager’s Certificate, Community College of the Air Force
2011 Joint Special Operations Forces Senior Enlisted Academy, Distinguished Honor Graduate
2012 Legislative Affairs Certificate, Government Affairs Institute, Georgetown University
2015 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee
2016 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Course, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. Mar 1992 – Apr 1992, student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. Apr 1992 – Jul 1992, student, U.S. Air Force Security Police Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. Jul 1992 – Aug 1992, student, Air Base Ground Defense Basic Course, Ft Dix, N.J.
4. Aug 1992 – Oct 1993, M-60 Specialist, Security Police Mobile Fire Team, RAF Upper Heyford, UK
5. Oct 1993 – Jan 1996, Security Response Team Member, Elite Gate Guard Member, and Operations NCO, 76th Security Police Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. Jan 1996 – Nov 1998, NCOIC, Commander's Support Staff, 76th Communications Squadron and member of base Honor Guard team, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. Nov 1998 – Mar 2002, Assistant NCOIC, Command Support Staff, HQ Air Force News Agency and member of the base Honor Guard, Kelly AFB, Texas
8. Apr 2002 – May 2004, NCOIC, Personnel Programs, 85th Operations Squadron and NCOIC, Commander's Support Staff, 85th Maintenance Squadron, NAS Keflavik, Iceland
9. Jun 2004 – Jul 2006, NCOIC, Evaluations and Section Chief, Career Enhancements, 37th Mission Support Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. Jul 2006 – Jul 2007, First Sergeant, 331st Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. Sep 2008 – Jan 2009, First Sergeant, 332nd Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
12. Jul 2007 – May 2009, First Sergeant, 345th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. May 2009 – Jun 2012, Instructor/Director of Education/Director of Operations, USAF First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
14. Jun 2012 – Dec 2013, Legislative Fellow U.S. House of Representatives, Washington D.C.
15. Jan – Mar 2014, Manpower, Personnel, & Services Legislative Liaison, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
16. Apr 2014 – Mar 2016 Mar, Senior Enlisted Advisor, Air Force Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
17. Mar 2016 – Jan 2018, Command Chief, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
18. Jan 2018 – present, Command Chief, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Organization Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one star
Iraq Campaign Medal with one star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
1994 Security Police Airman of the Year, 76th Security Police Squadron
1994 Senior Airman Below-the-Zone
2003 Personnel Manager of the Year, 85th Group
2003 NCO of the Year, 85th Maintenance Squadron 2004 NCO of the Year, 37th Mission Support Squadron
2005 Personnel Manager of the Year, 37th Training Wing 2006 First Sergeant of the Year, 737th Training Group
2007 First Sergeant of the Year, 37th Training Wing
2011 Distinguished Honor Graduate, Joint Special Operations Forces Senior Enlisted Academy
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant, July 2014