Col. Kevin M. Eastland is dual-hatted as the Vice Commander of the Air Force District of Washington and the 320th Air Expeditionary Wing, headquartered at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. AFDW is the Air Force component to the Joint Forces Headquarters-National Capital Region and is responsible for organizing, training and equipping combat forces for aerospace expeditionary forces, homeland operations, civil support, national special security events and ceremonial events. AFDW also provides major-command-level support for 60,000 military and civilian personnel assigned worldwide.
Colonel Eastland received his commission as a graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp program in 1994. He has served in a variety of staff positions at the squadron, group, wing, and Numbered Air Force level. He commanded the 15th Operations Support Squadron at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam and served as the Director, Congressional and Interagency Affairs, U.S. Transportation Command, Washington D.C. office. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Vice Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia.
Colonel Eastland is a Command Pilot with more than 3,100 flying hours in various aircraft including the C-17A, C-14B, and KC-10.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind.
1998 Master of Business Administration, Technology Management & Finance, University of California at Davis, Davis, Calif.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Advanced Studies of Air Mobility, United States Air Force Expeditionary Center (AFIT), Ft. Dix, N.J., Distinguished Graduate and General Fogelman Award Winner
2012 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington D.C.
1. September 1994 – August 1998, A-10/F-111 Systems Engineer and Executive Officer, Aircraft Management Directorate, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan Air Force Base, Calif.
2. September – March 1999, Chief, Group Inspection Plans, 463d Airlift Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
3. March 1999 – April 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
4. September 2000 – February 2001, C-141 Pilot, 4th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. March 2001 – April 2002, C-17A Pilot and Executive Officer, 7th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. May 2002 – May 2003, Wing Scheduler/Assistant Flight Commander, 10th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
7. June 2003 – April 2004, Instructor Pilot/Flight Commander, 10th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
8. May 2004 – May 2005, Assistant Director of Operations, 6th Airlift Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. June 2005 – April 2006, Chief, Wing Tactics, 305th Operations Support Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
10. May 2006 – May 2007, Wing Executive Officer, 305th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
11. Jun 2007 – June 2008, Student, Advanced Studies of Air Mobility, Ft Dix, N.J.
12. Jun 2008 – July 2009, Director, 13th Air Force Commander’s Action Group, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
13. August 2009 – October 2009, Chief, Operational Assessment Team, Strategy Division, 613th Air Operations Center, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
14. November 2009 – July 2010, Director of Operations, 535th Airlift Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
15. August 2010 – May 2011, Chief of Wing Safety, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
16. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 15th Operations Support Squadron, JBPHH, Hawaii
17. July 2013 – June 2014, Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
18. July 2014 – July 2016, Director, Legislative and Interagency Affairs, USTRANSCOM, Washington, D.C.
19. July 2016 – July 2017, Vice Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
20. August 2017 – Present, Vice Commander, Air Force District Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,100
Aircraft flown: C-17A, C-141B, KC-10
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 7, 1994
First Lieutenant July 7, 1996
Captain July 7, 1998
Major December 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2009
Colonel October 1, 2014
(Current as of August 2018)