Chief Master Sergeant John Payne is the First Sergeant for the Air Force District of Washington, headquartered at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. Chief Payne oversees the manning and utilization of all assigned AFDW First Sergeants, he is the approval authority for First Sergeant applications, and manages 8F000 AEF deployment taskings. Additionally, he reviews and validates MAJCOM authorizations and Air Expeditionary Force blocks, as well as conducts trend analysis, coordinates on 8F000 policy changes and inter-command assignments. Furthermore, he maintains a mission-ready enlisted force to execute command, National Capital Region, and expeditionary mission requirements. He also serves as the 320th Air Expeditionary Wing First Sergeant when the 320th AEW is activated. His reach impacts more than 45,000 Airmen, assigned to AFDW and Air Force Elements in over 3,900 units in 660 locations worldwide.
Chief Master Sergeant Payne grew up in Fayetteville, N.C., and entered the Air Force in December 1995. He graduated from the United States Air Force Honor Guard Technical Training School in March 1996 at Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C. His background includes various duties to include USAF Honor Guard Ceremonial Guardsmen and Technical School Instructor, Communications-Computer Systems Operator, and Airman Leadership School Instructor. His assignments include bases in Washington D.C., North Carolina, Japan, North Dakota, and California with deployments to Iraq, Kuwait, and Qatar in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL and INHERENT RESOLVE.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the First Sergeant, 18th Civil Engineer Group, Kadena AB, Japan.
2000 Basic Instructor Course, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
2000 Airman Leadership School, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
2005 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Associate Degree in Information Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Enlisted Professional Military Education Instructor Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Associate Degree in Instructor of Technology and Military Science, Community College of the Air Force
2011 Occupational Instructor Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2011 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Science with Education Concentration, Ashford University
2011 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University (correspondence)
2012 Professional Management Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2013 First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Associate Degree in Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
1. December 1995 – January 1996, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. January 1996 – March 1996, Student, USAF Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
3. March 1996 – September 1999, Ceremonial Guardsmen, USAF Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
4. September 1999 – September 2001, Instructor, USAF Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
5. September 2001 – September 2003, NCOIC, Base Honor Guard Training, USAF Honor Guard, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. September 2003 – September 2004, Help Desk Supervisor, 43d Communications Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
7. September 2004 – January 2005, NCOIC, Small Computer Support, Kirkuk AB, Iraq
8. January 2005 – September 2006, NCOIC, Small Computer Support, 43d Communications Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
9. September 2006 – December 2006, NCOIC, Deployable Network Control Center, 35th Communications Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
10. December 2006 – May 2007, NCOIC, Desktop Support, 373d Support Squadron, Misawa Security Operations Center, Misawa AB, Japan
11. May 2007 – September 2007, Force Protection Manager, 386th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Ali Al Salem, Kuwait, with duties at Kuwait City International Airport
12. October 2007 – June 2008, Assistant NCOIC, Information Assurance, 373d Support Squadron, Misawa Security Operations Center, Misawa AB, Japan
13. July 2008 – July 2011, Airman Leadership School Instructor, 35th Force Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
14. August 2011 – March 2013, Section Chief, Ground Systems, 69th Maintenance Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
15. April 2013 – September 2014, First Sergeant, 13th Intelligence Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
16. September 2014 – September 2015, First Sergeant, 9th Intelligence Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
17. January 2015 – July 2015, First Sergeant, 379th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
18. October 2015 – July 2017, First Sergeant, 18th Civil Engineer Group, Kadena AB, Japan
19. July 2017 – Present, First Sergeant, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
2000 John L. Levitow and Academic Achievement Awards, Airman Leadership School
2004 Stripes for Exceptional Performers Promotion, TSgt, 43d Air Mobility Wing
2005 Distinguished Graduate and Commandant’s Leadership Awards, NCO Academy
2009 PME Instructor of the Year, Misawa AB, Japan
2009 Honor Guard Program Manager of the Year, Misawa AB, Japan
2012 SNCO of the Year, 69th Maintenance Squadron
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Aug. 1, 2017
(Current as of 16 Aug 2017)