Lieutenant Colonel Thomas A. Gabriele is the Deputy Staff Judge Advocate for the Air Force District of Washington (AFDW), Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. AFDW organizes, trains, and equips combat forces for the aerospace expeditionary forces, homeland operations, civil support, national special security events, and ceremonial events. In addition, AFDW serves as the Uniform Code of Military Justice authority for more than 40,000 personnel and provides major command-level support for more than 24,000 personnel assigned worldwide.
Lieutenant Colonel Gabriele received his commission through the Direct Appointment Program in April 2003. He is admitted to practice law before the state courts of New York and Massachusetts.
Lieutenant Colonel Gabriele is married to Major Mandi Gabriele, USAFR Nurse Corps. They have two children, Lucca (9 years) and Mia (8 years).
1997 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, N.Y.
2001 Juris Doctor, Albany Law School, Albany, N.Y. (International Law Concentration)
2002 Master of Business Administration, Union College, Albany, N.Y.
2006 Squadron Officer School (Correspondence)
2010 Master of Laws in Military Law, Emphasis in Contracts and Fiscal Law, Army JAG School, Charlottesville, VA. (Recipient of the Ernest M. Brannon Award for the Highest Standing in Government Contract and Fiscal Law)
2011 Air Command and Staff College (Seminar)
1. April 2003 – June 2005, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of Claims, Adverse Actions, and Operations Law), Luke AFB, Ariz.
2. June 2005 – June 2006, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of Adverse Actions, Operations Law, and International Law), Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
3. June 2006 – July 2009, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of International Law, Operations Law, Civil Law, Contract Law, and Acting Deputy Staff Judge Advocate), Aviano Air Base, Italy (September 2007 – February 2008, Liaison Officer, Central Criminal Court of Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq)
4. August 2009 – May 2010, LLM Student, TJAGLCS, Charlottesville, Va.
5. June 2010 – August 2012, Program Counsel, AFMCLO, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio (January 2012 – July 2012, Chief, International and Operations Law, HQ USFOR-A, Kabul, Afghanistan)
6. August 2012 – July 2013, Chief, Contracts Law, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
7. July 2013 – August 2015, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
8. August 2015 – July 2016, Chief, Enterprise Specialized & Commercial Acquisition Branch, AFLOA/JAQK, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
9. July 2016 – October 2016, Deputy Chief, Commercial Litigation Field Support Center, AFLOA/JAQC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. October 2016 – Present, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
2010 – Ernest M. Brannon Award for the Highest Standing in Government Contract and Fiscal Law
2011 – AFMCLO FGO of 1st and 2nd Qtrs
Thomas A. Gabriele, Protecting Their Life at Home: The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, ARIZONA ATTORNEY, October 2005, Vol. 42, Number 2.
Thomas A. Gabriele, Could the Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act of 2009 Have Fixed the Problems That Plagued the F-22 Acquisition Project Back in 1981?, 40-3 PUB. CONT. L.J. 741 (2011).
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant April 26, 2003
Captain October 26, 2003
Major April 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2015
(Current as of 1 December 2016)