|COLONEL ALLAN L. SWARTZMILLER|
Col. Allan L. Swartzmiller is the Air Force District of Washington Mobilization Assistant, Joint Base Andrews, Md. As the MA he serves as the special staff assistant to the AFDW commander and advises the commander regarding reserve component policy, guidance and developments that affect reservists in support of the AFDW mission. During major events and contingencies, Swartzmiller also serves as the Vice Commander, 320th Air Expeditionary Wing, providing positive command and control of assigned and attached forces within the National Capital Region Joint Operations Area.
A native of Chesaning, Mich., Swartzmiller earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, from Michigan State University and his officer commission through Air Force ROTC. Swartzmiller has worked a variety of assignments in both the Regular Air Force and in the Air Force Reserve. He was selected as Initial Cadre for the C-17 and worked its Initial Operational Capability and the standup of the first Formal Training Squadron. As commander of the 914th Airlift Wing he led a new Air Reserve Component association to fully operational status. He has also deployed to Southwest Asia as the Air Force's Central Deputy Director of Mobility Forces.
1983 Bachelor of Arts degree. Political Science, Michigan State University, Lansing, Mich.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1992 Masters of Science degree, Operations Management, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Ark.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Reserve Component National Security Course, Washington, D.C.
2008 Ira C. Eaker College for Professional Development, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Advanced Joint PME, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2010 DIRMOBFOR Course, Det. 1, USAF Expeditionary Center, Hurlbert Field, Fla.
2010 COMAFFOR Course, USAF Expeditionary Center, Ft. Dix, N.J.
2010 DSCA Course, ARNORTH, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2012 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, Va.
1. December 1983 - May 1985, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. May 1985 - August 1990, C-130 Instructor Pilot, 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
3. August 1990 - June 1993, C-130 Instructor Pilot, 314th Tactical Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. August 1993 - June 1996, C-17 Initial Cadre. 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
5. June 1996 - June 1998, Asst. Operations Officer, Evaluator Pilot. 97th Airlift Wing, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
6. June 1998 - August 2005, Deputy OG Commander. 315th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
7. August 2005 - March 2009, Operations Group Commander, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis - St Paul Air Reserve Station, Minn.
8. March 2009 - September 2013, Commander, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, N.Y.
9. September 2013 - Present, Air Force District of Washington, Mobilization Assistant, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 8,000
Aircraft flown: C-130, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Colonel Feb. 16, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 24, 2001
Major Sept. 1, 1995
Captain Sept. 13, 1987
First Lieutenant Sept. 13, 1985
Second Lieutenant June 11, 1983
(Current as of October 2013)